Breastfeeding mum meets: Equality diversity inclusion policy
The aim of Breastfeeding Mum Meets (BMM), as stated in the Constitution,
“The advancement of health for the public benefit among breastfeeding families in Norfolk by
such means as the trustees think fit including:
1) Providing physical, emotional and practical support and information to breastfeeding families
2) Developing and maintaining peer support groups
3) Operating a resource body in cooperation with other agencies and health professionals.”
BMM is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our volunteers and trustees, and eliminating unlawful discrimination.
BMM recognises that the Equality Act (2010) defines the following protected characteristics: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (including colour, nationality, and ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation. In line with the lawful exceptions permitted under the Equality Act, BMM volunteer host roles and the services provided by BMM are open only to those who currently breastfeed, who have previously breastfed, or who may be planning to breastfeed in the future. Trustee positions are open to all.
BMM commits to:
• treat all BMM volunteers, trustees and those we support with fairness and respect;
• encourage equality, diversity and inclusion amongst our volunteers and trustees, and in our
social media output and promotional materials;
• base the appointment of volunteers and trustees, and the selection of volunteers and trustees
for training and other opportunities, on merit alone; and,
• create an organisation that promotes dignity and respect for all, where individual differences
and the contributions of all volunteers and trustees are recognised and valued, and which is free
of bullying, harassment, victimisation and unlawful discrimination (including in dealing with
BMM volunteers and trustees will be asked to adhere to these commitments through the
relevant Code of Conduct.
Any breaches of this policy will be dealt with under our Complaints Procedure. Details of how to
make a complaint can be found in that document.
This policy was adopted by the trustees of BMM on 7th July 2020 and will be reviewed regularly and
updated as required.
EH, June 2020